Our Favorite Quotes
Neil deGrasse Tyson
From the video series "Cosmos", Episode 13 (starting at about 38 minutes)
Five simple rules:
1. Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me.
2. Think for yourself. Question yourself.
3. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.
4. Test ideas by the evidence gained by observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well-designed test, it's wrong. Get over it. Follow the evidence wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgement.
5. Remember, you could be wrong. Even the best scientists have been wrong about some things. Newton, Einstein and every other great scientist in history, they all made mistakes. Of course they did. They are human. Science is a way to keep from fooling ourselves and each other. Have scientists known sin? Of course. We have misused science and every other tool at our disposal. That's why we can't afford to leave science in the hands of a powerful few. The more science belongs to all of us, the less likely it is to be misused. These values undermine the appeals of fanaticism and ignorance.
Unknown Author, but still interesting
If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
If you teach a man to pray for fish, he will starve to death while he could be fishing.